Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Little Background: The Settling Down


So how did we get where we are? It's been a crazy year...

We lived several years in Manhattan. Many people associate that with "the best of" any number of categories. The best food, the best cocktail bars, the best theater, the best jobs, the best medical care. To some degree that's true and there are many "bests" within infamous New York City. But finding "the best" can be a journey. It comes with a touch of panache to be the latest-greatest-best in any category in a world-class city of millions and along with that panache comes an elevation. You often need to be pretty well-connected or at least well-informed to get access to the best. And so was my experience with doctors. 

I eventually found a top-notch dentist and primary care physician after a few bad experiences. I thought I had a solid ob/gyn, but realized this fall that it wasn't the practice I had hoped. Despite the very accurate and pointed attempts my husband and I were making at conception, this doctor was thoroughly unconcerned until we had reached the one-year mark. That was contrary to several sources I'd come across in my research that said, paraphrasing here, if you are faithfully BBT charting and OPK testing with no pregnancy after 6 months it is perfectly reasonable to go seek a professional opinion. But my doctor was very reluctant to discuss the issue very much with me and I had to be somewhat demanding to get blood work done to test my hormone levels. At the last minute, I mentioned that I was confused by some spotting that I was experiencing around the time I should have implantation bleeding and she finally acquiesced a bit, ordering a Saline Infusion Sonogram for me.

Honestly, I was feeling frustrated about my poor experience with the ob/gyn because, when we left for our travels in early 2013, we gave up our apartment in Midtown. At that point, we were temporarily staying with family in Pennsylvania until J had his next job lined up. The idea of finding a new ob/gyn seemed pointless because we had no idea where we might live next. Back to NYC? Down near Philly? Suddenly Portland, OR, London and Denver all seemed possible also. The job hunt felt interminable. It hasn't escaped me that a good deal of this process may just be a massive lesson in humility for me. Teaching me that, no, I can not have full control over everything. Mother Nature is going to do all of this her way in spite of what I think or feel about it. Lah-dee-dah!

Finally, everything fell into place in early March. In short order, we were on a plane to Denver for an apartment hunting trip. The company moved us out in mid-April. We tried another cycle the old fashioned way, without any BBT or OPK or Pre-Seed, in the midst of all this. I tried to stay positive but generally put it out of my mind. I was also finishing my contract with my former employer and having a somewhat high-stress period. As soon as my work event was closing out, the period arrived with all of it's associated depression.

One of those AF nights I desperately googled "top fertility doctors in denver." One of the first results was a link to an article that placed Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine (CCRM) in the number one spot for fertility clinics. In the US. There were two practices in Manhattan, but they were not number one. Here we were, randomly relocated to Denver, and we were neighbors with the top fertility facility in the country. My eyes welled up. I emailed to request an appointment immediately.

We were initially scheduled for a consult in late June, but the next day I had a call saying they could take me early - May 13. Optimism has been in full bloom in our house this last week. It's just feeling like a super lucky coincidence right now. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment