Monday, July 7, 2014

Pre-IUI Ultrasound

Today was my first check up since starting the Clomid. The ultrasound showed some impressive results!

8:30am - Monday, July 7
The first part of my appointment was the actual ultrasound with Jessica. It was pretty straightforward and I watched on the screen while she measured various follicles. Not much was going on with my left side... as per usual, at this point... but there was some activity going on in the right ovary that she was checking out. The process didn't take long, maybe 10 minutes total. Afterwards, I dressed and headed back to the waiting room and gorged myself on back issues of US Weekly. Amazing how many freaking celebrity babies are in that mag. Including a special spread on North West's first birthday party! Oy...

9:00am - Monday, July 7
My nurse called me in to review the results and do a backdated IUI consult. (Normally this is done prior to starting your Clomid course. I couldn't do the consult at the proper time since we were traveling, but Dr. M went over a bunch of important dos and don'ts at the June 20 appointment.) Other than the superficial side effects from Clomid, like mood swings and hot flashes, there can also be internal side effects. It frequently dries up whatever cervical mucous there is (impeding the production of eggwhite mucous which is problematic for couples using Clomid with intercourse), and can hinder the growth of a nice, fluffy uterine lining which can complicate implantation.
My ultrasound showed really positive results! My lining measured a healthy 8.9mm, which is right where it should be, even in a 100% natural cycle. As the ultrasound tech had suggested, nothing was really happening on my left side. There were three follicles, all measuring less than 10mm and not nearly large enough to mature and rupture as eggs. On my right side, however, there are three good looking follicles. My measurements are 22, 19 and 15mm. Our nurse gave me two insights that I thought were particularly interesting: First, if there are more than 3 viable follicles, they will cancel the IUI cycle due to the chance of multiple fertilizations. Second, as you can probably deduce from that statement, it is more common for the Clomid to stimulate only two viable follicles rather than three and so we've just upped our chances of a multiple fertilization. I had to sign an informed consent form to go forward with the cycle as scheduled.

***
Let's just pause for a moment. People can get real fired up when they hear any of the following: "multiples," "twins," triplets," and "Clomid" even. For people labelled as "Unexplained Infertile" like ourselves, it's important to remember the law of small numbers you're dealing with, as well as the risks associated with multiple embryos. For starters, our chances of getting pregs this cycle are only 8-12%, which I believe is only about half the likelihood of a normal couple conceiving in a given cycle. If we are lucky enough to end up with fertilization and implantation and a BFP (yep, "big fat positive" test), the stats on having two of those eggs become fertilized and give us twins? Only 10%. I'm no mathematician, but 10% of an 8-12% window seem like awfully miniscule odds! And one step further, the chances of triplets - all THREE of my eggs being fertilized - would be under 1%.
In the years that Clomid has become a popular prescription for fertility issues, doctors have come under fire for the resultant multiple births and associated risks. Due to that, many REs (reproductive endocrinologists) are extremely sensitive to multiples and therefore do what they can to control the math.
Women have twins. It happens, naturally. What's the big deal?? That's what I had thought, too. The most common risks in a multiple gestation probably don't seem all that scary to someone who hasn't had a baby because we hear about happy-ending stories all the time: poor vision, pre-term labor, low birth weight. Modern medicine makes these things seem commonplace, but as an expectant mother, you don't want to see your infant up against any of these things. There are also very serious complications that range from miscarriage, stillbirth, diminished brain development (i.e. cerebral palsy) to problems for mom like elevated blood pressure, diabetes, and greater incidence of nausea/vomiting. So... no thanks.

***

The original plan Dr. M devised for me meant that I would monitor my cycle for ovulation with OPK strips and then call the office when I had a positive. Given my great response to the medication and the size of the three follicles, our nurse determined it was best to trigger my ovulation with Ovidrel (an injection of hCG, human chorionic gonadotropin). Waiting too long could either allow the follicle to grow too large, or allow ovulation to occur naturally at a time that wasn't ideal for the IUI transfer in the office. I was given a pre-filled syringe of Ovidrel with strict instructions to get it home to the fridge and then administer it PRECISELY 36 hours before my transfer. So, 9pm tonight. Yipes!

I'm excited. I'm optimistic. I'm hopeful. I'm also a little nervous. Excuse the pun, but I'm afraid of putting all my eggs in one basket - meaning, the mathematical odds of this working on the first try aren't terribly high. So I'm trying to toe the line between optimism and realism. Not an easy line to draw. The current strategy: put all of my faith behind this procedure - we are very strong candidates for success - and if it doesn't work out, know that we've still got plenty of resources to lean on for more attempts.

HERE WE GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment